Monday, July 27, 2009

Some things to love...

Here's some things that I LOVE about Singapore:
  1. The pediatrician calls me about 2-3 days after I've been in the office to check up on how Juliana is doing
  2. There are TONS of restaurants
  3. Lots of opportunities for Juliana to try new things, classes and meet friends
  4. When it rains, it never lasts for more than an hour, maybe two, if that
  5. Sun showers!
  6. You can get from one side of the island to the other on the MRT for a couple bucks
  7. We've been here 1o months and have barely put a dent in what there is to do
  8. It's easy to immerse yourself in several cultures at once Americans or Caucasians are the minority (this may end up on my con list too, but we'll see)
  9. Great new friends
  10. A chance to share all of our experiences with friends and family in our home countries through skype, blogs and e-mail
  11. Live-in maids....Oh, I love Jean so much!
  12. There's a store and hawker centers within walking distance pretty much wherever you are on the island
  13. It's so close to Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, China, etc., thus lots of chance to travel

7 comments:

Camille, Blake, Pierce and baby Asher said...

Got to love me some Sing... I am so glad that you love it to... I would like to add a couple...1) Safety... where can you just leave your doors and windows open and not even think about crazy people. 2) Chili Crab and Chicken satay is on about 90% of all menus 3) Not having a car is no problem... just about every street you can get a cab. and 4) God has really opened my eyes up to how big HE is... HE is here!

Leone Fabre said...

Like you say; Immerse yourself in other cultures.

I feel safer here than anywhere else in the world.

costs me $1.70 to go to Malaysia for the day!

I love the theme of: One country / many nations / living together in harmony.

I don't have to wear winter clothes.

The MRT is the best train system I have come across anywhere in my travels.

Costs me $43.00 (return) to go to Indonesia by ferry.

Hawkers stalls and cheap foods.

Indian Roti whenever I want (need!) it.... along with Tea Tarik.

Can go swimming every day of the year.

The people (where I live) are friendly and helpful.

Love the variety of foods to try.

The low cost manicures and pedicures.

Love the way we celebrate all Religious Festivals without predudice.

Enjoy the contact with the younger Singaporeans that WANT to know ME and want to link to me on FB. :-)

there are probably many more too!!!!

Jenn said...

Goos lists. Although I don't know about the raining for only an hour thing. There have been days it has rained all day.

Melanie said...

Yes, SG is much cleaner and safer than baclk home...I would never walk to thr MRT alone at 11pm at home

Melanie said...

Even when it does rain a bit longer than usual, I like it....it's one of those warm rains!!

Melanie said...

Ah ha Leone, missed a major one...clothes!! One wardrobe all the time...no switching out to winter clothes or bundling up to go out. So nice!

Raihana Ab said...

Melanie .. I'm glad that you love Singapore.
We are from many religious, cultures but all united in one. Thats Singaporean spirit.

Have you tried "Nasi Lemak", "Mee Soto", "Mee Siam" .. You should try them ... but be prepared .. Mee siam is a bit spicy :)

Eid is coming soon, love to have you in my house, celebrating Eid (Hari Raya), you can try many Malay dishes ... :)