Friday, July 24, 2009

Missing them

This morning, Juliana got to talk to Nana and Nanny for the first time since they left. She was so excited and kept blowing them kisses and giving them hugs. It was adorable to watch, but also heart breaking. She had so much fun with them while they were here, but at least we have things like skype to keep in touch with them being so far away!

My mom found this quote and shared it with me: Mothering is necessary, but grand mothering is a luxury.

So true. My mom and grandmother adore Juliana, spoil her in ways that only a grandparent could and shower her with love and affection. It's an important bond that I am grateful Juliana has in her life. I know, because the relationship I share with my Nana is truly special (as well as those I shared with my other grandparents before they passed). She has so much wisdom from all her years of seeing the world change before her eyes and plenty of stories about how different things are now compared to when she was growing up. She is a wonderful example of what motherhood means, especially when I see how deeply she cares for my mother, myself and Juliana. As for my own mother, there are no words to describe how much love and respect I have for her. We share much more than a family bond, but also a wonderful friendship.

Motherhood never ends, even when our children are all grown-up, with families of their own. For a true Mom, the worry never ends, the support never waivers and the love is always unconditional. The Celtic motherhood Symbol above looks like two separate hearts made out of knot work. One heart is lower than the first and both hearts are intertwined in a continuous knot. It is never-ending, just like a mother's (and father's) love for their child(ren).

No comments: