Saturday, October 31, 2009

Love you Uncle Gidge

Since I can't be there, my brother will be reading this on my behalf at the funeral. I wanted to honor him in the best way I know how... MY DEAREST UNCLE GIDGE

There are so many thoughts
swarming around inside my head,
“what-ifs” and “should haves”
of all the things I wish I had said.

Life can be so unpredictable,
so cruel in what it takes from us,
and yet somewhere in that pain,
we can look to God to find our trust.

During our last moments together,
I was able to express my respect and love,
for your unconditional support,
and now you must continue that role from above.

When I look back at all of the memories,
I am overwhelmed with emotion
of all the family gatherings and holidays,
always filled with laughter and commotion.

There was always a game of a charades,
following our big family dinner,
and your boisterous laugh and bright smile
were there no matter which team was the winner.

When my own father passed away,
I looked to my uncles to fill the empty hole;
I asked you to give me away at my wedding,
and you gladly took on that role.

Eventually, God will bring us together again,
and that moment will fill me with bliss,
but for now, time is the only cure
for dealing with a loss such as this.

I will love you always and forever,
keeping you close in my heart,
to continue to guide me along my path
as you have done from the start.

Rest in Peace.
Your loving niece, MelanieLove you Auntie Donna, Mike and all the rest of the family...

1 comment:

Camille, Blake, Pierce and baby Asher said...

That was very sweet... tears in my eyes as I am sharing your grief through your words... you will touch many hearts as that is being read... you are sweet and very talented to share your heart in a poem.