Monday, December 7, 2009

The Nativity and what it led to

At bible study this morning, we were all talking about our gorgeous Christmas decorations, especially our nativity sets that are all in storage :-( But I noticed this on Jennifer's facebook page (from a friend I assume) and wanted to share. Isn't it gorgeous?
I love these faceless angels and have plenty in my own storage! This morning's meeting made me realize a lot of things...some that I am truly grateful for here in Singapore and some that I just miss so much about home. So here you go:

Loving Singapore:
  1. There is so much to do on such a small island! Malls, parks, a science center, Sentosa, the zoo, a bird park, marina barrage, city lights, water parks and so much more.
  2. MOPS - I was introduced to this here (thanks Jenn) and it's been an important part of my life ever since. It's also allowed me to volunteer in ministries I may not have been able to back in the U.S.
  3. I have made some wonderful friends that I can talk to, lean on and just have a good time with.
  4. Supper Club is always something to look forward to!
  5. The opportunity to travel, see new things and try new enrichment programs with Juliana
  6. Jean. Enough said.
  7. We have access to a pool 24/7 and we have a fish for a daughter so it's great!
  8. A five minute walks gets me to the MRT, the mall, a pharmacy and the grocery store.
  9. Playmates for Juliana...lots and lots of them!
  10. Trying new foods, a big challenge for me, but a good one.
  11. Fantastic landlords! I mean, how many people can honestly say that their landlords are also their friends?
  12. I have had a chance to gain 4 more international teaching certificates and begin some work to put on my resume.
  13. The bible study I joined thanks to Jennifer, who is running it, has opened my eyes to parts of myself I have buried down way too deep. More sessions to come, so there will be more to benefit from it.

What I miss:

  1. Being close to my family and friends, especially during the holidays.
  2. Sharing Juliana with all of those wonderful people.
  3. Being able to give them their Christmas gifts in person, rather than in a box or through the mail.
  4. Having access to a car, even though it can be a pain at time, it's nice to have the convenience of it.
  5. Medical care - I find it to be so much better at home, maybe because I was blessed (and spoiled, thanks Claudia) with an amazing doctor.
  6. The change of seasons...I may not miss snow, but I do miss the changes in temperature and scenery, especially during spring and fall.
  7. Food. Restaurants. Food.
  8. More trees, land, grass and fields.
  9. Real Christmas trees that don't cost a bundle, which is why we went fake!
  10. All of our "stuff." I know life isn't about material things, but I fully admit that I miss my own kitchen goods, our own decorations, all of our beautiful paintings and pictures, Jacob's chess board collection, my books, etc.
  11. The security of knowing that my mom and Nana, two major sources of support for me, could only be a phone call or short car ride away.
  12. The malls are a lot less crowded and aren't mazes where you get lost and forget where you've been!
  13. Jacob and I have 1 niece, 1 on the way, another niece or nephew and a good friend is having a baby and if we lived in the U.S., we would be there to see them grow.

I'm sure I could go on and on, but I think I'm just in a slump because Christmas is right around the corner and I'm homesick. I wish I could fly everyone out here or fly all of us to Florida for the arrival of my second niece. But, this is where God has placed us and I continue to pray that we will be open to whatever he has in store for us. On a side note, I hope some of those plans include better health for me!!

1 comment:

Camille, Blake, Pierce and baby Asher said...

It is always good to look at the pros when you look at the cons... I know you are homesick... but we are glad you are here in Singapore with us... you can lean on us...