Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Just had to, hit home...

I think most people that know me are clear on the fact that I am not a fan of Obama. Aimee Liu, author of Gaining: The Truth about Life After Eating Disorders expresses her concerns about how health care reforms will affect those in recovery from eating disorders (and this is close to my heart) as well as other "pre-existing" conditions. If you didn't already know that I have struggled with an eating disorder for numerous years (and not ashamed to admit it, share my struggles and hopefully make a difference in at least one person's life as a result of my experiences), now you do. I have personally felt the effects by being turned down for coverage due to me E.D. or having to put off imperative health care procedures due to high costs not covered by insurance. I just wanted to bring this issue up as it is very important to me, especially considering the amount of people struggling with all different types of mental illness, never mind terminal diseases, major back pain, etc.. etc. As an expat, there isn't a lot I can do about it from here in SG, but as Americans, you can contact your elected representative and urge them to demand access to health care FOR ALL, no matter what the circumstances may be. Click here to get in contact with the representatives and here if you want to read more about Aimme Liu's stance on the issue.

This post wouldn't be as fitting without a cartoon. Please, if you are an Obama supporter, TAKE NO OFFENSE. My beliefs are just that, mine and we are all entitled to our own opinions about political matters affecting the U.S.

No comments: