Sunday, August 16, 2009

Forgiveness...

FORGIVENESS

As parents, mothers, friends, sisters, brothers, and any other relationship in our life, forgiveness is vital to that bond (and in some cases, lack there of). After a lot of careful thought, reading and bible study, I found these quotes to be the most compelling, honest and closest my heart:

To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you ~Unknown

Anger make you smaller, while forgiveness forces you to grow beyond what you were" Cherie Carter Scott

-This one especially hit home with me, because I was angry for a long time over a certain situation and when I began to let go, I felt free, free as a bird. As I let go of more and more anger, I flourish in my personal life, in the best of ways. I'm calmer, I'm more intuitive, I'm a better mom and wife and I'm more dedicated to all of the relationships in my life. I have the time to develop true relationships (and by true, I mean, no masks, no fake personalities, just ME).-

We all have to forgive hurt at some point. And when I say forgive, it does not mean what they did was okay. It means that you are done hurting and are ready to move on ~Rana M

-Again, hits home with me, BIG TIME! I always thought that to forgive someone was to say "It's okay and what you did to me is okay," but that's not the truth. Forgiveness is a gift from God for us to stop the hurt that we feel. Only then can we move forward with our lives, free and clear of that pain-

Forgiveness does not erase the bitter past. A healed memory is not a deleted memory. Instead, forgiving what we cannot forget creates a way to remember. We change the memory of our past into a hope for our future. ~Lewis Smede

-Memories of the past, good and bad, can always help us to make changes for a better future-

You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them." ~Desmond Tutu

1 comment:

Camille, Blake, Pierce and baby Asher said...

I totally agree... I have always had a hard time with forgiveness as well but I think it is bc God calls us to forgive... he does not call us to forget... hard to understand but God is the only one who can really forget (bc Jesus our sin is washed away and we are made white again)... forgetting is a disease... but forgivining is God's gift to us... I am praying for you sweet friend.