Friday, January 8, 2010

Yay, another published piece

As some of you already know, I am passionate about writing. I love doing this blog, I write poetry and used to write a lot more, but have been starting up again. I've had one published poem before in a book and then an article two years ago. Now, I get to have one of my recent poems published! I am honored once again and excited, because it just makes me motivated to do more. Maybe someday that dream of writing a book will come true? I hope so!

Here's the poem:


As I Am

They can only see
what I allow,
the surface of who I am,
because the rest is a mystery.

They cannot understand the pain
that eats away at my soul,
the grief that weighs down my heart,
the love waiting to pour out.

They do not see my true self,
the strength I hold so close,
the will I have to survive,
because their eyes are closed.

They cannot face all of this,
but my God can,
and he accepts all of me…
just the way I am.

Many of you may know what some of the inspiration behind this poem came from, but I think it can be easily adapted to many different circumstances. The power of accepting who we are makes such a difference in our daily lives, how we affect others and what we can accomplish. I just hope I can continue to be ME and accept ME for who I already am, "flaws and all." (Thanks for that quote Beyonce!)

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Beautiful poem! How exciting that it got published. Keep on going!!

Camille, Blake, Pierce and baby Asher said...

Love the poem and congrats... and great shout out to Beyonce... I am sure she is read this... HE HE HE