Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Pizza with friends

After a rough couple of days with a sick little girl, we finally got to see some friends over the weekend. On Sunday, we had Jenn, Toby, Elyse, Chris, Glenton, Sophie and Miriam over for some company and pizza! Jenn is glowing in this picture, pardon the saying, but she's expecting their second child and she looks so happy... Chris and Glenton with their youngest, Miriam...
The girls got to sit at their own table and the only one who could tear themselves away from the food long enough to look up at me was Sophie!
Juliana really enjoys being around other kids, especially these girls since we see them the most. Chris and Glenton live five floors down from us, which is really nice and Jenn lives just down the road. I realize that for the better part of last year, I wasn't really opening myself up to friendships and opportunities for fear of becoming attached or simply being sad when someone leaves for home or elsewhere. I know now that it's a mistake to live that way and am slowly trying to change my ways. A new year brings a lot of new possibilities and I don't want to be shut off from the world simply because of fear. Life is short, period. I was reading a newsletter last night and it had one of my favorite quotes to remind me of that:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. – Mark Twain

I just want to try to live my life to the fullest, even if that means letting some things and leaping off the mountain (an image in one of the books I've been reading) into the unknown. I don't want to be at the end of my life someday and have regrets about all the things I didn't do or say. No, I don't expect myself to follow all of this day in and day out, because I'm human and I'll have my moments, but I'm hoping that I can live more freely and openly than I have been and show Juliana that life is an amazing gift from God, filled with endless amounts of opportunities to explore, grow, create and love.

Okay, so now I just have to remember to look back at this post every now and then as a reminder!

No comments: