Wednesday, March 17, 2010

So life has downs too, right?

Interesting day on Tuesday. I was having a pretty good one, spent the morning chatting with my cousins and Uncle, then mom and grandmother on skype with Juliana, then having a picnic/tea party with her before she left for music class. I was then keeping busy at home before yet another accident (am I somehow cursed? just kidding!) happened.

There were (and I say were, because Jacob removed all the rest of them that afternoon when we got back) glass doors on the entertainment center, tempered. One had come loose, but we did a "quick fix" for now and looking back, are just annoyed that we didn't just take it down in the first place. I opened the left side of the cabinet to get a book and the right side came flying off the top and then snapped at the bottom hinge. ARG! My reaction time is a bit bad lately, so no time to just snatch it up.


I didn't even know what to do. Yes, I panicked. I slipped and landed knee first in a pile of glass, and cut open my right knee pretty bad. I am actually thankful I was home alone, because I can't imagine something like this happening with Juliana here. So, first call: Jacob, which pretty much consisted of "Can you just get home now!" and then I called my landlords since I know they live close. I was waiting on that, hoping I could make it, but then I saw the damage to my knee and slowly crawled my way to the fridge (NOW I memorize that number for the ambulance) and then back to where I left my phone. So, ambulance showed up, Sue Lynn, Mun Cheong and then Jacob. I even called my neighbor because I was feeling out of it and did not want to loose consciousness before someone showed up. First of all, THANK YOU to all of you for helping. One ruined blanket in the trash (sigh, it was a nice one), 13 stitches in my knee, one in my right palm and a criss cross of scratches up and down my right leg later and I'm okay!

I must admit, the service at the NUH was pretty good. It took them quick a while to clean off my legs and take all the pieces of glass off. A few were embedded, but gone now. It was just my right knee that required the most attention and it's going to be a nasty scar. As if I don't have enough! I asked a million questions, poor doctor, but he was kind enough to answer every single one! Well, it definitely could have been worse. Fortunately, I got hold of Jean and she went to my friend Chris' downstairs with Juliana until we all got home, the place was completely cleaned up and she didn't have to see all the glass and blood.



Who knew such a great day could turn so badly, so quickly? Oh well, that's life. I'm just fortunate no major nerves were hit and that besides my knee, the rest of the damage is minor, although just a lot more scars to add to my collage of "body art."


One thing Tuesday's experience taught me, besides BE MORE CAREFUL AT ALL TIMES is that there's always a silver lining. It took that experience to wake us up to any other household dangers (for about the millionth time since we had Juliana) that there may be. Now, we can be even more aware, for her sake and ours.


Last night, Sue Lynn and Mun Cheong came by with these beautiful flowers...
Had to put them in a trash bin since they were so big! Juliana got her own one (she had just stubbed her toe and was milking it, still is) and loved the extra attention from Sue Lynn and Mun Cheong before bed!Stitches come out in a week from tomorrow and the bandage up my entire leg comes off tomorrow. Then I think I'll just have to cover up the major cuts. Ah, but my leg will be able to breathe!

No comments: