Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Reflecting on 2008, prior to moving to SG

2008 was a chaotic year, in good ways and some bad. But all of it led us to where we are today and God always works in mysterious ways.

This collage has so of my favorite pictures. Top right is my first Mother's Day and top left is Jacob's first Father's Day. The middle was from when we attended my cousin's Bar-mitzvah and the other two were taken at (left with me) our first home with Juliana and (right with Jacob) our second home with her. She basically took over the living room, half the kitchen, half of our bedroom and the guest bathroom. I think the only true space of ours was the office, for obvious reasons! But it's all worth it and not much has changed! Got worse actually! This is a completely mixed collage, ranging from 2 months old to 8 months old. In the bottom right, my mom buried her in her toy box and she kept getting out to do it all over again! And doesn't she look mischievous in that top left one, like, "What am I about to do?"
One thing I miss a ton are the fairs in New England. It's always been a tradition to attend the Hopkinton State Fair, which usually falls on labor day week at the beginning of September. This year, we got to take Juliana to enjoy the animals, some of the food she could eat and just the atmosphere. I grew up going to this fair every year, so it felt amazing to bring my daughter. We miss it a lot and hope to attend one day again...
My mom and grandmother were a huge help during the last several weeks before our move to Singapore, even before we found out and told them. I used to pick my Nana up on Wednesday's, my day off and bring her to the house to be with Juliana and I. Then, my mom would come after work and we'd have dinner all together. Juliana also spent many overnights at Nana and Nanny's so we could have some quality couple time. Other times, they just dropped over to babysit so we could do errands or work in the yard or sleep!! They were amazing. This picture was when it was getting very cold, so the only way to keep her warm was with layers, blankets and body warmth.
Anyway, I love how she cuddles into her Nanny in the above picture and the face my mom is making. Such a deep affection for Juliana. God, I miss them!

We had planned a big first birthday celebration for the weekend of her birthday, but when we found out about moving to Singapore, we had to push it up two weeks. We're lucky, because nearly all of our friends and family cleared their scheduled to make it. In a way, it was also a farewell party for all of us since this party took place the night before we flew to Singapore. Juliana had a blast, playing the the girls and getting TONS of attention. I could barely get my own hands on her for a cuddle! And as you can see, the Elmo cake did it's job, covering her in icing!!
It was a bittersweet farewell, as we had no idea what to expect here in Singapore and no idea when we would see everyone again. Fortunately, we did know that my mom had already booked her tickets for Christmas and New Year's, so it made those first couple of months easier to get through.

More to come. Hey, I gotta finish up 2008 :-)

No comments: