Saturday, May 30, 2009

Then and Now

I can't take responsibility for this idea since I saw it on another blog, but I came up with my own list!

Then: I could leave the house with my purse, one bag filled with my phone, wallet and a couple of personal items
Now: I leave the house with a stroller, a massive bag filled with snacks, drinks, diapers, wipes, toys, changing pad, etc. as well as an energetic toddler!

Then: I could walk through the kids department without stopping once to look around
Now: It's the first place I stop and I have a hard time leaving without purchasing something

Then: My vocabulary was normal, sometimes even sophisticated
Now: It consists of words like yuck, poop, pee-pee, sleepies, tootsies and many others I won't bother to embarrass myself with

Then: I could go to sleep late and get up late
Now: I can barely make it past 10pm and sleeping in no longer exists

Then: Grocery shopping was easy and quick
Now: It takes twice as long and I have to maneuver around the aisles in such a way to make sure Juliana doesn't pull everything off the shelves

Then: Going out to eat was a relaxing experience and choice of restaurants depended on what food we were in the mood for
Now: Going out to eat is a chore and we have to be sure the restaurant is kid-friendly and that we time it just right so we don't miss nap times, never mind the fact that I can't seem to eat my meal until it's already cold

Then: The only "parenting" articles I looked at happened to be in one of my fitness magazines
Now: My bookshelf is loaded with parenting books, I subscribe to parenting magazines and about 80% of my saved websites are parenting pages or blogs

Then: I could expect about the same thing most days
Now: There is so consistency from day to day and I never know what to expect!

Then: It was all about me
Now: It's all about Juliana

.....and even though there are so many changes in becoming a mom, it's been the most amazing and rewarding experience! Finding time for me or for Jacob & I is a challenge, but it's certainly worth it. The best memories I have over the last year and a half always include my precious little girl. She's helped me grow into a better person and I enjoy seeing the world through her eyes. I may have had a little more freedom before becoming a mom, but now I feel blessed in ways I could never have imagined and I am one of the two most important people in her life.