Wednesday, November 5, 2008

That's right, we're white

Hello all! I've been filling my time with exploring the area and shopping of course. I'm getting tired of shopping (can you believe it was possible??), but there isn't a whole lot to do when you're new and don't know a whole lot of people. I have started searching for playgroups, swim lessons and other activities for Juliana and I to do during the week. She gets bored very easily and it is a big challenge trying to keep her...she looks happy!

The funniest thing about being here is that we feel like a spectacle. I'm thinking of making up some t-shirts that read, "That's Right, We're White!" Every time we go out, we feel like people are constantly staring at us. Now, part of that is also because of Juliana and how people's eyes are constantly drawn to her cuteness and the loud noises that she likes to make in public. When I was talking to someone about feeling like people tend to stare at us a lot, she was telling me about how rare it is to see a white family, especially with an infant, in this part of Asia. Imagine that!! We are the minority out here for sure! So, I'm beginning to get used to it and try not to make too much eye contact. It's pretty obvious when I walk by a group of people and someone says something in their own language to the rest of the people and they all turn to starer at us walk by. Hmmm.......

Well, on that note, I'm done for the night. Missing home, missing NORMAL food and definitely missing the convenience of having my own car to get around!

2 comments:

Mrsktalbot said...

We miss you too. Loves...

Pam said...

I totally get what you mean....try being white, and chubby! that REALLY throws them for a loop! =)