Thursday, November 6, 2008

Delivery!

Ah, the convenience of delivery. Getting errands done here in Singapore is a HUGE chore, especially without a car and pushing a stroller everywhere I go. I never imagined that I would miss simple stores like Market Basket, Wal-Mart, Barnes & Noble, etc. as much as I do. Not only are things cheaper at home, they are also easier to purchase when you have a trunk to load up with bags.

Since I was getting sick and tired of making a trip out to the store or restaurant every single day to grab some food for Juliana and I, then all three of us for dinner, I decided to look into delivery. Most of the grocery stores deliver with no fees if you spend a certain amount of money...not hard to do considering the cost of food out here. The only catch is that a lot of places don't accept credit cards (which we rely on way too much at the moment), so I had to look around and find a store that would take our Visa. Shopping online for groceries just seems very strange to me, but I gave in to the convenience and placed an order yesterday afternoon. It arrived today around 5pm and the delivery man unloaded my bags into the kitchen. I realize this may not seems like all that big of a deal to most people, but considering my past and the fact that I'm American, it was all just so strange.

Unfortunately, the one problem with delivery is that it doesn't include produce or fresh bread...items that we couldn't live without back home. So I will have to go out again to pick some up. I miss my car so much!!

No comments: