Monday, October 20, 2008

First day on my own!

Before going to bed last night, I was very anxious about what today would bring. I knew that Jacob would be starting his first day of work and I'd be on my own with Juliana. Back home, being on my own was no big deal, but I hated the idea of being in a foreign place with only two days of experience and having to venture out into the city. Initially, I planned on staying in the apartment, but decided against it. After it finished pouring this morning, I packed Juliana up in her stroller and headed out to explore!

I took a taxi rather than taking on the bus and MRT. I figured, one thing at a time, right? So, we headed to Orchard Road. During all of our research about Singapore, we kept coming across information about Orchard Road and how it is the most visited attraction in Singapore. It's loaded with so many shops and restaurants that it's impossible to visit them all in a day. I ended up walking up and down the street just to get an idea of what was around, but this turned out to be quite a task! I'm still getting used to getting around on foot and with a stroller, it can make things very difficult. I have to look for the elevators, which they call "lifts" or carry the stroller up or down stairs. At least I'm building up my arm muscles!!!



I think what I enjoyed most about today's outing was seeing all of the buildings and how unique they are in comparison to home. There is such a wide range of styles in their buildings and some of them look like pieces of art. I didn't remember to take too many pictures, but below is a picture of The Marriott.

After about two hours of walking around, I settled on visiting Borders to get some books on the area and then heading back to the apartment. I guess it was a successful day since I didn't break down crying or screaming and Juliana and I made it back to the apartment safe and sound! Now to figure out what to do about dinner....

2 comments:

Mrsktalbot said...

Not a kenmore front loader now is it!

Meghan said...

I am in awe of you! Keep up the great attitude! I miss you guys!