Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Swim lesson

This morning was Juliana's swim lesson. We arrived early, so she got to watch one of the classes before us and was dying to get into the water. She kept getting upset with me since I wouldn't let her into the water! Finally, 10:00 rolled around and we could jump in the pool. There were two other kids that were taking a trial class as well, so she wasn't the only newbie.

The class started with "If you're happy and you know it" and the instructor had them kicking, splashing the water, blowing bubbles, lying on their backs and going in circles around the moms. Then, he placed kick boards up on the edge of the pool for them to grab and kick their way back to him to return the kick boards. Juliana is only beginning to understand the concept of kicking, but enjoying using the kick board. She got so excited each time she reached the instructor and got congratulated on her swimming.

What I liked most about the class is that it was a lot of fun for the kids, with different songs and activities. I decided not to sign her up though, because I feel as though I can easily teach Juliana all of the same stuff at the pool here. I picked up a kick board this afternoon and we spent a bit more time in the water. I know she would benefit from classes, but for now, we're going to have our own private lessons!

No comments: