Friday, December 5, 2008

Just some updates


I can't believe I went an entire week without a blog! It hasn't been an exciting week, but it's still been somewhat eventful nonetheless.

So, last Sunday, we made our first attempt to attend Sunday morning mass out here at 9:30. St. Francis of Assisi Church is only about a five minute walk away, which is very nice! I have no complaints about the church itself or the mass, but I think we will be trying to go to church without Juliana for now. This is no St. Kathryn's of Hudson, NH with a nice, roomy, comfortable cry room. No, this cry room was crowded, uncomfortable, smelly and LOUD! We couldn't hear a thing the priest was saying above the noise from all of the other children and parents in the cry room. The only reason we went to the cry room in the first place was because Juliana was doing her happy screech, which most people don't appreciate during a mass. For now, we're going to try a different mass and possibly check out some of the other churches in the area. One bonus about the church though is that they have family a family mass each month during the week, so maybe that will work out if Juliana isn't the only loud one there!!!

This past Tuesday was Juliana's follow up with the pediatrician as well as her vaccine for chicken pox. She looks good, but I had almost forgotten just how horrible the whole vaccine experience is. The last time she had them was at 6 months, so it was much more difficult to hold her still this time around. And she's too smart, she knew what was coming!! Three more to go in the next few months...

Let's see, not much other big news to share. I did catch a glimpse of Orchard Road the other day and can't wait to see the decorations and light at night!!

Finally, I broke out of my little shell and went to the American Women's Association to start a membership. They have playgroups, movie nights, sports, high teas, socials and lots of other activities for me to meet some Americans! I just have to push myself out the door and stop being so shy!

To leave you with a few cute pictures...this is Juliana as we prepare for a swim down at the pool! She's such a little fish.

P.S. Two weeks and four days till my mom gets here! YAY!!!!!












2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Juliana on walking (that entry was a bit old, so I figured I would mention it here). Good luck on finding a family friendly church, we are lucky to go to a house church b/c if we went anywhere else I would spend all my time in the cry room or outside. Bronson is just a chatty little guy!
I hope you meet a lot of friends. I am even having trouble with making local friends, and I am still in the US. Of course I am not far from my friends, but I would like closer ones, I went to a playgroup which Bronsy loved, but the other moms all seemed to know each other already, so I don't know if I will make friends with them.

Melanie said...

Hi Sarah!

I just got some new info from the American Women's Association out here on churches, so I'm hoping we'll find one soon! I hate to leave Juliana home, but it does make it tough when they aren't "family friendly" as you said.

Your little one is getting so big! I always chedck your pics on facebook...time flies, huh?

I know what you mean about playgroups. I tried one out here so far and it was okay. Trying a new one this week. But I'm the "new mom," whereas everyone else has been at it for a while. Makes it hard, plus I'm American among a world of Asians, so it's a tough bridge to cross. Ah well, in time, I hope!