Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Adjusting to being back

I didn't think I would have a lot of adjusting to do with the return to the U.S., but I have a feeling I am because we're in temporary housing. Actually, we've been in a hotel for a week and a half and will be moving into the temporary apartment tomorrow until we find our permanent place to live. Without a "home," it's hard to get used to being here instead of Singapore, where we were all set up. I enjoy being able to see family and friends, I just wish I could fast forward two to three months to be in our place.

Aside from housing, it's been wonderful to be back in the U.S. The weather has been warm, but not hot and humid like SG, making it enjoyable to be outside since we don't sweat the moment we step outside. It's also been nice to be close to everyone we know, but I do miss the people I met in Singapore, especially Jean. I also miss Juliana's classes, but that will be over soon since I set up some trial art, music and gym classes and she'll be starting school as soon as I find a suitable school. I got used to having Jean around for company during the days and help with Juliana. It was always a lot easier to get ready in the morning and do errands with Jean's help!

For the most part, Juliana has been handling all of these changes well. She does talk about Summerdale (where our apartment was) a lot when she asks to go home. She will also say, "I want to see Eden and Bethel" or "I miss my friends" when we look at pictures of our friends from Singapore. I hope I can find a school and classes soon, so she can be around other kids more often to keep her busy.

There are a few things about moving back to the U.S. I'm not looking forward to (snow, unpacking and setting up house again, moving stuff out of storage, etc.) but other than these small things, it's going to be nice being home!

2 comments:

Raihana Ab said...

Hi Melanie

Hope u still remember me. Just got to know that u had gone back to USA. I can't view my blog seems it took ages to load.
Hope we can meet again one day, Hari Raya (Eid) coming thought of giving u some cookies n cakes again...
Take care and do keep in touch :)

cajunsis said...

Good luck with your move back to the states. I cannot imagine moving as much as you have. Maybe you will be able to settle into a more permanent place soon. It must be difficult for the little one to understand, but they do bounce back quickly. Hope that is the case for you. Good luck finding a home and getting settled. I am envious - you are back in the states. I dream of that ;-)